POTATO MUSHROOM 5 CHEESE LASAGNA
- 1/2 Head Garlic small dice
- 1 Large Red Onion Sliced
- 8 ozs White Button Mushrooms
- 8 ozs Chanterelle Mushrooms
- 8 ozs Baby Bella Mushrooms also called Brown Mushrooms or Baby Portabellas
- 16 ozs Heavy Cream
- 1 Large Red Skin Potato (Slice potatoes into 1/8” slices and place in water until ready to use)*
- 1 Large Sweet Potato (Slice potatoes into 1/8” slices and place in water until ready to use)*
- 1 Large Russet Potato (Slice potatoes into 1/8” slices and place in water until ready to use)*
- 4 ozs Olive Oil
- 4 ozs Butter (Melt Butter and mix with Olive Oil)
- 2 tsps Flour
- 6 ozs Swiss Cheese, Shredded
- 6 ozs Gouda Cheese, Shredded
- 6 ozs Mozzarella, Shredded
- 6 ozs Romano, Shredded
- 6 ozs Provolone, Sliced
- 1 tbsp Sea Salt
- 10 tsps Pepper
- 1 tsp Dried Parsley
- 1/2 tsp Dried Thyme
- 1/2 tsp Dried Chives
- (Mix Spices Together)
Saute sliced onion in olive oil until soft and caramelized, then add the garlic (be careful not to burn garlic), saute and stir for 2 - 3 more minutes and pull from the heat and add a tsp. of the spice mixture. Set aside in a separate container. In the same pan saute the sliced mushrooms. Do not over crowd the pan. I saute each kind of mushroom separately and cook until you remove 80% of the moisture. After they are cooked, mix them together with a tsp. of the spice mixture, and set aside.
Pour cream in a pan on medium heat and stir until bubbles form around the edges of cream. Add the swiss and stir until melted, then Gouda, stir and melt, Mozzarella, stir and melt and Romano, stir and melt. Mix 2 tsp. of the butter-olive oil mixture with 2 tsp. of flour and cook in saute pan for 5 minutes. Add the cooked butter-oil/flour mixture to cheese sauce and cook for 10 minutes stirring at all times. Pour finished cheese sauce in bowl and reserve.
Pre heat oven to 350 degrees. Brush a 9”Square x 3” deep baking dish with the oil/butter mixture to prevent sticking. Start with the potatoes and cover the bottom of the dish. Use all three kinds of potatoes on each layer. Overlapping the potatoes is okay. Spoon cheese sauce over potatoes and add another layer of potatoes upon the sauce.Then a layer of mushrooms. Place sliced Provolone cheese on mushrooms, then potatoes, sauce, onion/garlic mixture, potatoes, sauce, mushrooms, Provolone, etc. Sprinkle a pinch of the Spice Mixture on each layer. The last layer should be potatoes and cheese sauce.
Place aluminum foil over the dish and bake for 1 hour. Remove foil and bake for 30 minutes more. The top should be brown and bubbly. The dish will look wet and loose. Once it cools for 30 minutes or so it will tighten up. Cut into squares and top with any remaining cheese sauce and serve.
*If you like your potatoes soft, then par boil all the potatoes until firm, but not soft. I do not cook my potatoes because I like a little firmness since everything else in the dish is soft.