SAVORY CORN CAKES
- 1 Recipe cornbread crumbled (I use 2 boxes of Jiffy Cornbread mix)
- 1 cup White bread crumbs (2-3 slices)
- 4 Ears of fresh corn cut off the cobs, about 2 cups
- 2 tbsps Butter
- 4 tbsps Shallots, Finely Chopped
- 1 Large fresh green pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup Fresh parsley chopped or 3 TB dried parsley
- tsp Fresh Ground Pepper
- 2 Fresh garlic cloves diced or pressed
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper (more if you like heat)
- 3 lightly beaten eggs
- 1 cup Mayonnaise
- 4 1/2 tbsps vegetable oil divided
Combine crumbled cornbread and breadcrumbs in a large bowl and set aside.
Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat; add onions and peppers and sauté for 5 minutes or until tender.
Add corn and sauté for 5 more minutes.
Remove from heat and add to the breadcrumb bowl along with the parsley, pepper, garlic, salt, cayenne, eggs and mayonnaise.
Shape the mixture into 3 inch patties, about 1/2 cup each. If the mixture seems too dry for the patties to hold their shape you can add a little more mayo or put the patties in the refrigerator to set for about 30 minutes.
In a large nonstick skillet heat 1 1/2 TB. oil over medium-high heat.
Add patties leaving enough room to turn them.
Cook 2-3 minutes per side until golden brown.
Repeat this process until all the patties are cooked.
These are so good you will end up eating them for breakfast the next morning.